Monday, April 11, 2011

Why am I Here?

That is a good question. I've thought about this a lot since it was assigned and I couldn't answer it at first. I started to think, why am I in this class? The answer to that question was fairly simple. I am in N385 because I needed the credits and it sounded like an interesting class. I didn't think that was enough to go off of. Then I went bigger and wondered why am I here at IUPUI. Once again, this wasn't hard to answer. I'm here because I want to learn and get a better job than I would have gotten without going to college. The next time I asked the question, I went much bigger. Why am I here on this planet? This took a little more time. I struggled until I started thinking about the things that I enjoy most. Of course I here for my family and friends, but I don't think that it's even as big as that. I believe that I am here to enjoy the little things. Things like hanging out with the people I love, doing well in school, and entertainment. There are so many more things than that, but that was my starting point. Even though enjoying the little things is a bit of a cliche, I believe that it is for a good reason. Since I was very busy last week I didn't have as much time for this project as I have others, so I decided to show what I mean by writing exactly what I mean.

Why I am Here

Michael Hicks

I'm not sure if I believe in God or having been put on this Earth to serve some higher purpose. I think that I am on this Earth to simply enjoy it. More than anything, I enjoy the little unique experiences. I enjoy sitting around and talking with friends about bullshit. I love coming home after a class and talking to my nephew about how his day of preschool went. I love the feeling that I get after I watch a good movie or read a good comic. I used to lose sleep over the thought of why I am here when I was a kid. I imagined the endless universe and couldn't comprehend my place in it. I still can't, but that's the point of this. Instead of staying up all night and fretting about things that I have no control over I can simply realize that I am here to enjoy life. Of course I am here for the big events in my life as well, but those are few and far between so I feel that I have to focus on the day to day. The best way of doing this is trying to extract joy from the mundane. If I don't like what I'm doing at a particular moment I try to find something about it that I do like. If there is absolutely nothing that I can find that I like, I create something. Basically, this is how I stay happy. Being happy lets me enjoy things more. Honestly, I think I'm here just to be a happy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment