Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Class Response - 1/10/11

This is probably the first time that I've ever went in completely blind to a class. I had no idea what this class was about. I had heard that it was fun, creative and interesting, but little to nothing regarding anything specific. When I entered, however, I knew that I was in for something a little different. The first thing I saw was a room full of chairs that looked like they were straight out of Star Trek. After a few failed of attempts at taking the helm, I figured out how to sit down. From there, the most interesting first day of a college class was underway. I spent a long time trying to think of something interesting from my childhood. I think that is something that I need to think about more often. I have many fond memories from my childhood, at least I thought I did, but when I was asked to think of something I blanked. The only thing I could remember was playing with action figures and flipping through comic books. Compared to many of the other stories, mine was so mundane. After that, the "what is art" conversation was had. This has always been something that I don't know what to think about. My opinion on it varies depending what mood I'm in. Something can be complete shit one day, and then after looking at it again, I think it is art. Then, when watching the MUTO video, I kept thinking about how long that must have taken. Instead of admiring the unique nature of the video, I just thought about how much of a pain it must have been. I think that just comes from me being afraid to undertake something that requires a huge commitment. That is one of the first things that I feel I have to get over in order to do some truly great work. I really enjoyed the first day of class, and if this is a good indication of how class will function, I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment